The Pogue Library was completed in 1931 and served as the central library until 1978. G. Tandy Smith from Paducah, Kentucky was the architect that designed the building in the Renaissance Revivial style. At the time, it was considered one of the most handsome buildings in the state and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The building consists of a ground floor, along with three other floors and contains a beautiful, ornate reading room. Another outstanding feature is the bronze doors on both east and west entrances. They were the focus of controversy in 1930, when the cost was rumored to be over $40,000. The actual cost was $14,000 and the "gold doors" of Pogue Library are still today in use. Pogue Library is named in honor of Dr. Forrest C. Pogue, a 1931 Murray State University alumnus. Dr. Pogue was a nationally known historian and biographer of General George C. Marshall. In 1989, he donated his books, personal papers and memorabilia to the library.
Today the Pogue Library houses Special Collections, the University Archives and the James O. Overby Law Library.