If not otherwise affiliated with the university, visitors to the library must be at least 16 years of age. Adult visitors are encouraged to apply for a complimentary user’s card in order to access the library’s catalog, and check out library material. If asked, a library visitor is expected to show valid identification.
Library Policy on Unescorted or Unsupervised Children
The Murray State University Libraries strive to provide an environment conducive to study and research, primarily in support of the academic programs offered by the University. While we are a public facility, the Library does not accept responsibility for the safety or supervision of unescorted or unsupervised children. Therefore, the following guidelines are in place:
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent (or other adult caregiver), and must be under their direct supervision at all times.
- Parents (or other adult caregiver) are responsible for the conduct of their children while they are in the library.
- Parents (or other adult caregiver) will be asked to remove from the library any child behaving in an inappropriate manner.
- Parents will be held responsible for any damages caused to library property by their children.
- Should an unescorted child be discovered, library staff will attempt to locate a parent. If a parent cannot be located, library staff will contact the University Police to assume responsibility of the child.