Collection Title: Burgess H. Scott Papers
Series Number: MS88-03
Processed and Cataloged by: Originally processed by Keith M. Heim in February of 1988. Reprocessed by Dieter C. Ullrich on May 20, 2010.
Date Listed: May 20, 2010.
Date Span: 1939-1975
Size of Collection: 0.75 linear feet.
Number of Boxes: 1 legal sized document case and 1 legal half sized document case.
Type of Material: Correspondence, newspaper clippings, press releases, manuscripts and photographs.
Condition of Material: Good. Newspaper clippings are deteriorating due to high acidic levels of acid in paper and ink.
Arrangement: Organized into alphabetical order by type of material; Chronological arrangement.
Biographical / Historical Information: Burgess H. Scott was a press correspondent, columnist and newspaper editor from Paducah, Kentucky. He was born on May 29, 1913 in Paducah, Kentucky. His father served as mayor of Paducah from 1932 to 1936. He attended public schools and graduated from Paducah Junior College. He attended and later graduated from the School of Journalism at the University of Missouri. In the late 1930s, he was a reporter for the Paducah Sun-Democrat. During the Second World War, he served in North Africa, Italy and the Near East as a United States Army correspondent. By the war’s end, he was the European editor for the Yank newspaper. After the war, Scott was employed as technical editor for the Ford Times, a monthly magazine published by the Ford Motor Company. He retired in 1974 and died on September 20, 1982.
Scope and Content: Collection consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings and research materials related to press correspondent, columnist and newspaper editor Burgess H. Scott. The collection contains letters written to his parents from North Africa during the Second World War, newspaper clippings of when he served as a United States Army correspondent and ephemera associated with his military career. Included with the papers are manuscript drafts, articles, press releases, photographs and other materials connected with Scott’s employment as editor and writer for the Ford Times from 1945 to 1974. Files of interest are research materials on Ford Motor Company’s decision to build smaller cars in 1974 and 1975, retention and delays with certain vehicle models and notes on the Feist breed of canine.
Subject Headings / Descriptors:
Scott, Burgess H., 1913-1982.
World War, 1939-1945 – Africa, North – Personal narratives, American.
Africa, North – History – World War, 1939-1945
World War, 1939-1945 – Journalists.
Ford Motor Company – History.
Ford automobile – Periodicals.
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Articles
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Background Reports - Ford Motor Co.
- Burgess H Scott Papers Bibliography of Publications
- Burgess H Scott Papers Book - The Ford Guide to Outdoor Living on Wheels 1964
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Correspondence 1943
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Correspondence 1963 -`969
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Drafts - Ford Motor Co.
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Ephemera 1942 - 1943
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Loose Papers
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Manuscripts - Miscellaneous
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Newspaper Clippings - Biographical Information 1939-1988
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Newspaper Clippings - War Correspondent 1941
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Newspaper Clippings - World War II Africa 1943-1944
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Newspaper Clippings (Photocopies) - World War II Africa 1943-1944
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Photographs - Burgess H. Scott and Family
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Photographs - Ford Motor Co. Press Releases 1963
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Press Releases - Ford Motor Co. 1963
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Product Summaries - Ford Motor Co. 1974-1975
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Research and Notes - Feist Dogs 1959
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Research and Notes - Ford Motor Co.- Granada/Monarch 1974-1975
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Research and Notes - Ford Motor Co.-Small Cars 1974
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Research and Notes - Miscellaneous
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Transcontinental Trip in Model T 1947
- Burgess H. Scott Papers Transcript of Meeting between J.A. Capalongo, Gene Koch and W.T. Peacock 1973
- Burgess H. Scott Papers White Papers - Ford Motor Co.